Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Small Business and Insurance

For many years I had the pleasure of working at Barstons Child's Play. During my time at the store I worked as an assistant manager and buyer. I was a full-time employee and individual employee health insurance was covered. When my husband and I looked at the rates to pay for my husband and two children on the policy, we knew we could not afford it. We could barely manage rent, student loans and food on our combined salaries. We paid out of pocket for medical care for many years for both my husband and two sons. When Fred was hired at American University, as part of a large insurance pool we could finally afford FAMILY insurance.

Part of my dismay at the way insurance is handled in the US is the fact that small business is asked to shoulder such a heavy burden. There is no way Child's Play -a small mom and pop store, could afford to offer the same low group rate that American University could offer. I made the choice to work at a small specialty store. I really enjoyed working there. I could have probably worked retail for a large corporation and maybe found a affordable family policy. I did not do that. In retrospect, Did my decision kill my husband? I guess it did. But do you want to live in a country where we decide where we work based on what insurance is available to its employees? And in such a country, what would happen to all the Mom and Pop Stores?

There is a reason in "73 cents" the small businessman is holding his head at his desk, late at night with a past due notice in front of him. Small business suffers greatly in this country.

2 comments:

  1. Your decision did not kill your husband. Cancer did. And there is little likelihood that anything would have changed the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Regina, I'm an Italian man who have seen just today your story at some euroean TV network, and it touch ma heart. As you probably know here in Italy EVERYONE is insured since he born, so you can have assistance and prevention for free, ALSO if you dont have a job. I think this is very good and USA people also deserve it. I really hope Mr. Obama goes on improving the sanitary assistance.
    A big hug.
    Sorry for my poor english. gitano71@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete